Here are some top questions we receive at MFC:

What qualities should I be looking for in a good flight school?

  • The school meets your philosophy, goals and objectives.
  • Housing, financial aid and additional training (i.e. aerobatics and multi-engine training) are available to broaden your experience.
  • The school is backed by a solid history.
  • The operators have all of the necessary credentials.
  • The school has a strong graduation record.
  • Classrooms are equipped with state-of-the-art technology.
  • Type and number of aircraft meet your training needs.
  • Strong airport infrastructure (control tower, flight service station, etc.).

What  is the first step to begin flying?
You will need an aviation medical certificate from one of Transport Canada's approved medical examiners. You also need to decide which program best fits your needs and send in your application, supporting documents and application fee. To locate  the nearest medical examiner in your area: External link opens in new tab or windowTransport Canada approved medical examiners link

Can I fit flight training into my busy schedule?     
Yes. MFC offers Transport Canada's approved integrated programs.  Students can train on a full-time basis. MFC also offers modular or traditional programs. These programs are self-paced.

If I can't fit ground school into my schedule, do I have other options?     
Yes. MFC's modular training programs, which are self-study programs, offers one-on-one ground school training with our instructors. Our Commercial Pilot License (CPL) program also has a self-study option.

How long does it take to finish the Private Pilot's License program at MFC?    
This Takes as little as 12 weeks, depending on the time a student has to devote to the training requirements.

How long does it take to finish the Commercial Pilot's License (CPL) program at MFC?     
MFC's modular CPL course can be completed in nine months.  Our integrated CPL can be completed in as little as one year.

After completing the Integrated ATP program, I now have the necessary qualifications but how do I gain the experience required to become an airline pilot?
There are many ways to build hours and experience working as a pilot to qualify for airline positions.  There are bush pilot jobs with passengers and cargo in northern or remote areas of Canada, small charter company positions, seasonal work as fire or pipeline patrol.  The thing to consider with these types of jobs is the reality that you may have to spend some time working on the ground initially before moving to the aircraft either loading cargo, fueling aircraft, etc.  These are ramp type positions that are portrayed in television shows like Ice Pilots.  A large number of pilots will return to take the instructor rating and flight instruct to build their time.  It is normally a quick way to increase flight hours before landing an airline job.

When is the next start date for ground school?     
Please contact us for start dates.

Is there a course outline or syllabus I can refer to? 
We send out program information packages on our courses by either email or mail. The packages include our course outlines, admission requirements and costs.

How many instructors will I have? Am I limited to just one instructor?
You will be assigned a primary flight instructor with whom you will do most of your training.  On occasion, you will receive training from supervising instructors.

What are the prerequisites to begin flying?

For private (PPL) training, you will need a minimum CAT 3 medical. For commercial (CPL) training, you will need a CAT 1 medical.  For integrated training, you must provide proof of high school graduation at a minimum and depending on the program, there may be further requirements.

How am I charged for flying hours?

The commercial (CPL) programs are broken down into 11 phases and a number of payments (some phases are grouped together as one payment).  It is required that you pay for each phase prior to starting it as we do not offer credit.

How many aircraft are in your fleet?

MFC currently has a total of 60 aircraft including Diamond DA20-C1 Eclipse's, Cessna 172's, Piper

Seminole's and King Air C90's.

Can I receive financial assistance for flight training?

MFC is a recognized institution with most External link opens in new tab or windowNational and Provincial Student Loan Programs.  This option is available

to domestic students.

Do you offer scholarships/Student Loans?

MFC awards prizes and small scholarships at our graduation ceremony each spring.  Students who are applying/accepted for provincial and national student loan programs in Canada  automatically receive any scholarships and/or bursaries that they are eligible for.  When applying for student loans within your  province, the province automatically applies for national student loans and any other scholarships and bursaries on your behalf.

Students applying to the degree program with Mount Allison University would be eligible for any scholarships and/or bursaries offered by the university.

Is there a diploma or a joint-degree with a University that I can acquire along with the training?

We offer a 2-year diploma program as well as a 4-year Bachelor of Science in Aviation degree in partnership with Mount Allison University in Sackville, NB.

What prerequisites do I need in order to join the Diploma or ICPC Program?

Entry to The ICPC program requires proof of  high school graduation. High school grade 12 academic math is required for the Diploma program.


After completing the ICPL program, will I be able to get a job flying a large plane?

Before flying large planes, you will need experience flying smaller aircraft. Once you accumulate the necessary flying hours and experience (1 500 -3 000 hours), you are eligible for airline jobs.

What kind of job will I be able to get when I'm finished the Professional Pilot Program?

Pilot jobs for students who complete the Professional Pilot Program  include bush pilot flying, cargo and passenger flying, seasonal work, including  pipeline or fire patrol, and flying with small regional/charter companies.  A great way to accumulate hours and experience is to instruct flight training.  You will need an instructor rating, which can be obtained at MFC.

Can I instruct at MFC when I finish the CPL program and instructor rating?

Yes you can.  We prefer to hire instructors from our instructor program, as we like to build our own instructors.

What is student life like at MFC?

The students at MFC are a tight knit group. They like to work and play as a group, helping each other in study groups, as well as socializing together when not training. MFC also has a Student Council. The Student Council is designed to review the ideas, concerns and social events for the students at MFC. A student representative is elected from each program and meetings are conducted on a monthly basis. At least one student representative sits on the Flight College's Safety Committee so that the student body is aware of the safety performance of the college.


Where are you located?

MFC is located in New Brunswick, Canada. MFC has a campuses in Dieppe, at the Greater Moncton International Airport,  and in Fredericton, at the Fredericton International Airport.

What is the weather like at MFC?

Both campuses at MFC experience a range of weather conditions. The diverse weather and varied geography fosters an enriched flight training experience. Students exit our programs better-equipped to safely manage four seasons of weather operations. Canada's weather and geography promote better pilot decision-making skills and the kind of experience employers love when graduates return home. Please check the External link opens in new tab or website for more information and External link opens in new tab or windowFind out more on our Enriched Flight Training page.

External link opens in new tab or window

Where do your students come from?

MFC has trained over 20,000 pilots from 65 countries around the world.  We train  domestic students and we have contracts with Chinese airlines. Our students also come from Europe, the Middle East, India, and the Caribbean.

Where can  I get a Medical Certificate?

You can obtain a Medical Certificate from an approved Transport Canada medical examiner. Please follow this link for a list of examiners in your area:

External link opens in new tab or window External link opens in new tab or windowTransport Canada approved medical examiners link

Are there advantages to flying in Canada?

Yes, Canada has one of the most respected flight training standards in the world.  Canada's four season weather also offers real world conditions for flight training.

Do you offer helicopter training?

No, MFC only offers fixed wing training.